Welcome to Land Application Training Online!
Land Application Training Online is an alternative to the live Land Application Training workshops hosted by Nebraska Extension, which are typically held in January and February of each year.
This course covers the land application part of manure management. With increasing regulations, the livestock producer needs to understand the scientific principles that affect manure transformations and how to use these principles to manage the manure for maximum fertilizer value with minimal environmental impact. Improved land application of manure is one part of the solution, but we suggest that the producer evaluate the quantity of nutrients arriving on the farm as feed, animals, and fertilizer compared to the total that is exported. Achieving a nutrient balance will reduce potential environmental hazards often associated with animal agriculture.
This course is designed to be taken in sections, and not necessarily in any particular order. For this reason, there are two types of navigation below (and at the end of each module), the clickable image that allows you to choose topics that you are most interested in and the list of modules if you prefer to do the modules in order. Upon completion of each of the modules, you will have the opportunity to take a quiz through the campus.extension.org website. Check the FAQs for for more information about quizzing and receiving credit for the course. For your convenience, a checklist containing all modules has been developed for your use.
What Are Some of the Things I Will Learn?
- Regulations as they relate to manure
- How to manage manure nitrogen
- In-depth discussion of recordkeeping and reporting needs
- Manure and soil sampling
- Application equipment calibration
- The 2012 Nebraska P-Index
- More about Protecting Herd Health with Biosecurity
How Can I Get Credit for This Training?
Quizzes are available at the end of each module. You must be registered through LAT Online Registration Page and the campus.extension.org system to complete the quizzes.
Those permitted operations that have never taken land application training (either live, online, or as home study) must complete all modules. After all quizzes have been passed, you will be able to print a certificate of completion. Alternatively, there is a final exam that may be taken to test out of all modules. It may only be taken once and must be completed within 75 minutes. If failed or not completed in time, each module must be passed individually. The final exam is waived if all modules have been successfully completed.
- For those that have completed the land application training previously, you may choose 3 modules with quizzes to complete in addition to the regulations module. After you have passed all 4 quizzes, you will be able to print a certificate of completion. Alternatively, there is a final exam that may be taken to test out of all modules. It may only be taken once and must be completed within 75 minutes. If failed or not completed in time, each module must be passed individually. The final exam is waived if all modules have been successfully completed.
- Once you receive your certificate, print 2 copies, one for your own records and one to mail in to NDEQ to receive credit for the course.
Who Will Benefit from the Training?
- All who are interested in livestock manure management are welcome to take the training.
- Farm staff and advisors implementing farm's permit or nutrient plan are welcome and encouraged to participate. Consider making this part of your staff's training.
- Recently permitted operations that have not completed the initial Land Application Training, and are required by NDEQ to have manure management training should pass all modules in the Land Application Training or pass the final exam. (approx. 8 hrs.)
- Additional manure management training is required by NDEQ every 5 years for permitted operations. Recertification can be obtained by completing 4 of the modules (must include Regulations module) and passing the corresponding quizzes or by passing the final exam.
- If you are unsure of your certification status, contact Leslie Johnson (402-584-3818) or Ken Lamb (402-471-4233).
What Will it Cost?
- There is no cost for the educational modules.
- The only fee is for registration to complete the quizzing or exam and receive a certificate. That registration fee is $60 per participant for either initial and recertification training.