Custom Manure Application
Custom Manure Applicators are becoming more commonly used by livestock producers in the state of Nebraska. While the regulations in Nebraska do not restrict the use of custom applicators or the methods that they employ, it is in their best interest to apply manure in accordance with the permit holder's nutrient management plan. It is, however, the responsibility of the permit holder (livestock producer) to make sure that happens. Custom manure applicators operating in Nebraska are not required to have any manure management training comparable to that required of permitted livestock operations, so they may not know the regulations that the livestock operation must follow.
One of the big concerns with using a custom manure applicator is the potential for disease transport due to them being on multiple livestock operations, as compared to if a livestock producer were to apply the manure their animals have produced. See the biosecurity section to determine proper lines of separation and consider those lines on all livestock operations.
Resources that might be of interest as a custom manure applicator include:
A list of custom applicators that transport and/or apply manure in Nebraska is available.*
*If you are a custom applicator and would like to be included in this or need your information updated, please contact Leslie Johnson with your information.
There is No Quiz for this Module
What Are Some of the Things I Will Learn?
- Regulations as they relate to manure
- How to manage manure nitrogen
- In-depth discussion of recordkeeping and reporting needs
- Manure and soil sampling
- Application equipment calibration
- The 2012 Nebraska P-Index
- More about Protecting Herd Health with Biosecurity
How Can I Get Credit for This Training?
Quizzes are available at the end of each module. You must be registered through LAT Online Registration Page and the campus.extension.org system to complete the quizzes.
Those permitted operations that have never taken land application training (either live, online, or as home study) must complete all modules. After all quizzes have been passed, you will be able to print a certificate of completion. Alternatively, there is a final exam that may be taken to test out of all modules. It may only be taken once and must be completed within 75 minutes. If failed or not completed in time, each module must be passed individually. The final exam is waived if all modules have been successfully completed.
- For those that have completed the land application training previously, in addition to completing the regulations module and quiz, you may choose 3 modules with quizzes to complete. After you have passed all 4 quizzes, you will be able to print a certificate of completion. Alternatively, there is a final exam that may be taken to test out of all modules. It may only be taken once and must be completed within 75 minutes. If failed or not completed in time, each module must be passed individually. The final exam is waived if all modules have been successfully completed.
- Once you receive your certificate, print 2 copies, one for your own records and one to mail in to NDEQ to receive credit for the course.
Who Will Benefit from the Training?
- All who are interested in livestock manure management are welcome to take the training.
- Farm staff and advisors implementing farm's permit or nutrient plan are welcome and encouraged to participate. Consider making this part of your staff's training.
- Recently permitted operations that have not completed the initial Land Application Training, and are required by NDEQ to have manure management training should pass all modules in the Land Application Training or pass the final exam.
- Additional manure managment training is required by NDEQ every 5 years for permitted operations. Recertification can be obtained by completing the regulations module and 3 additional modules and passing the corresponding quizzes or by passing the final exam.
- If you are unsure of your certification status, contact Leslie Johnson (402-584-3818) or Ken Lamb (402-471-4233).
What Will it Cost?
- There is no cost for the educational modules.
- The only fee is for registration to complete the quizzing or exam and receive a certificate. That registration fee is $60 per participant for either initial and recertification training.