How to Submit an EPCRA Continuous Release Report for Livestock

(You may print this page for your records.)

Step 1.

Determine your emission estimates.

Use the UNL Emission Estimator or other method.

Step 2.

Get contact information for Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC). You will need both phone and mailing addresses. EPA maintains a national database at this Web site:

Nebraska SERC Contacts

List of all the Nebraska LEPC contacts

Address of your LEPC


Phone number of your LEPC


Step 3.

Complete the "Continuous Release Reporting Form." Below are annotated forms adapted from EPA. The form below is intended as an example, and includes annotations and the boxes that are believed applicable to livestock are shaded in grey. UNL believes that all that is required by most livestock operations are the gray shaded entries. There are four pages, complete each page either by filling it out directly in Adobe Acrobat Reader and then printing (you cannot save your entries in Acrobat Reader), or print and complete the form by hand. Your signature is required on the first page.

Instructions for Forms

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Finding your Longitude and Latitude

The form requests your location in longitude and latitude, UNL has added a button to "" which can be accessed directly from the form. However there are other internet sites that can be used to locate your operation geographically. Try to find the center of your operation at yahoo, and right click "drive to this location" and the longitude and latitude of that exact location will appear on the left. Although DMS (degrees, minutes seconds) is requested on the form we suggest entering decimal degrees in the first box and leaving the minutes and seconds boxes empty. For Nebraska , an example latitude is 41.1278 and longitude is -98.753. Latitudes in Nebraska range from 40 to 43 and longitudes from -95 to -104.

Complete each page of the form and print three copies. One for you, one for the LEPC, and one for the SERC.

Step 4.

Call by phone your Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC) and the State Emergency Response Commission (SERC), in this case NDEQ, and inform them that you are calling to comply the reporting requirement. Below is an example of what you might say to them:

"My name is {your name} and I am calling on behalf of {name of your operation}. This {beef/swine/dairy/poultry} operation may generate routine continuous air emission of ammonia in excess of the reportable quantity of 100 pounds per 24 hours. This notification fulfills my requirement to report releases pursuant to CERCLA section 103 or EPCRA section 304. Prior to today I had presumed my livestock operation to be exempt from this reporting requirement and am reporting out of a precaution to ensure that I am in compliance with federal laws. I will be filing a written report of this release with 30 days."

Step 5.

Mail one copy (certified mail) of the form reporting your emissions to your Local Emergency Planning Committee and another copy to the NDEQ (serving as the State Emergency Response Commission). Keep the other copy for your records.

Address of your Local Emergency Planning Committee (from Step 2)


Tracking number:

Address of the State Emergency Response Commission

*NDEQ serves as the contact for continuous emission reports for the Nebraska Emergency Management Agency

NDEQ (Mark Lohnes)
PO Box 98922
Lincoln , NE 68509

(402) 471-4251

* if you cannot reach Mark at this number, you can call your local NDEQ inspector and they will relay the message:


Sign up for updates from UNL Water

Sign Up Here