NMP Section 11: Producer Instructions and Adjustments
This section communicates to the regulatory community (and the producer) those tasks and adjustments to plans that must be completed over the duration of the permit. Many of these tasks relate to the annual planning updates that must be completed by the producer. Other tasks may relate to situations that will cause alterations to the plan from standard operating procedures.
These instructions may address:
- Annual calculations of crop nutrient requirements and application rates
- Preferred timing of manure application and factors to consider in timing adjustments
- Calibration procedures
- Records and inspections implementation
Section 11 Example: Producer Instructions and Adjustments
Crop Nutrient Requirement Calculations
- All calculations are repeated annually based upon updated information on yields, previous crops, previous years manure applications and commercial fertilizer application plans.
- Manure analysis is completed at least annually.
- Each field application rate is adjusted annually based on crop nutrient requirements, the results of the most recent P-Index, manure analysis, and the method of application.
Timing of Manure Application
Manure applications timing shall be adjusted to match a crop production year starting and ending in November for row crops. Timing will be adjusted to consider:
- Soil moisture conditions. Manure application timing may be adjusted if soil moisture levels present a risk for runoff or tile drains are flowing.
- Weather conditions and forecast. Forecasted precipitation suggests a potential for significant field runoff.
- Planned crop rotation modifications.
Nutrient Management Plan: Records Checklist and Samples for Animal Feeding Operations**
This document from Heartland Water Quality Coordination Initiative summarizes the record keeping expectations of a nutrient management plan and provides the producer with sample records.
- sample records for crop nutrient management plans (pages 26-42)
- Manure Application Calibration (pages 37-42)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
* NOTE on using various file types:
–¢ PDF files: To read these files, you will need the current version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.
–¢ MS Word files: version 2000 or newer
–¢ MS Excel (.xls) files: version 2003 or newer
–¢ Video: Windows Media Video Real Player
|<< Return to Nutrient Management Plan Tools menu||Section 12 >>|